Why? It’s complicated and constantly changing.
- The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) typically issues an average of 100 – 250 new rulings each week. Who has time to read them all?
- Some new rulings may apply to your goods and make them duty free, but how would you know if you haven’t read them?
- There are over 180,000 of these rulings published online at the Customs Ruling Online Search System (CROSS), http://rulings.cbp.gov/. Some rulings are missing and some are wrong or outdated.
- Some rulings contradict other rulings.
- There are about 200 ruling reversals or amendments issued every year.
- Rulings that have been overturned by the courts are not updated.
- There are obscure international agreements that grant duty relief and duty exemptions. How can an importer claim an exemption that is unknown?
What we do: We look at your supply chain management in order to identify opportunities for duty relief. We provide everything you need to facilitate any available recovery and reduction. This includes the services of customs attorneys and other experts.